Coleslaw with an Asian twist
- Leave a Comment
My asian inspired coleslaw should not really be called coleslaw, but rather “cabbage salad”. And I say this because, I’ve always considered coleslaw, a rather boring salad…a side dish that is made in huge quantities and smothered with mayonnaise. But this cabbage salad is fresh, light, and really tasty. The fresh mint and coriander leaves, combined with the chilli lime dressing give this dish a real zing of flavour. And using red cabbage, gives this salad a real dramatic edge.
HINT: Salad can be made and dressed hours before eating. The flavours marry and infuse into the veggies, which stay crunchy and crisp, even when refrigerated overnight.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SALAD
- 1/2 red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- A handful of shallots chopped
- fresh mint and coriander leaves, roughly chopped
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 x limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 1/2 small red chilli chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
AND TO MAKE THE SALAD
- Combine cabbage, carrot, spring onion, mint and coriander in a bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over salad.
Add to favorites